In Lakeville, homeowners are allowed to burn brush, cane, driftwood, and forestry debris – not including grass, hay, leaves or stumps- between January 15th and May 1st so long as open burning takes place:
- With a valid permit and permission of the Lakeville Fire Department;
- Between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm;
- With good atmospheric conditions as regulated by the MA DEP
- No less than 75 feet away from all dwellings and important buildings; and
- On your own property and as close as possible to the source of material(s) to be burned.
- Permit cost - $10 (checks are preferred - no credit card accepted)
There are no circumstances under which it is legal to burn grass, hay, leaves, stumps or tires. They simply do not burn as “cleanly” as those materials that may legally be burned. All of the prohibited items produce acrid smoke that causes nuisance conditions and produces gases that threaten people’s health. In addition, the burning of brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris from commercial or industrial land clearing is prohibited statewide.
Please call (508)946-0044 after 9:00 am on the day you would like to burn. This will be updated daily if burning is permitted. We do not receive the weather forecast for the day from MA DEP until just before 9:00 am and therefore cannot extend permission prior to that time.
*** All fires must be completely extinguished by 4:00 pm. ***
Fires must be attended to at all times without exception.
Permits shall be revoked for violations of regulations and permit holders may be subject to citations and fines.
Always exercise due caution when burning and please stay safe