Veteran's Services

Under Massachusetts law, every city and town in the Commonwealth maintains a Department of Veterans' Services office, which is staffed by a Veterans' Agent. The role of the Veteran's Agent is to assist veterans and their dependents to coordinate benefits from the state and federal government. The Veterans' Agent's main function is to take applications for state Chapter 115 benefits, a needs based financial assistance program for veterans and their eligible dependents.

One of the most common questions is: "How can I find my discharge papers?" Veterans' Agents have online access to Massachusetts Military War Records Office, and can get copies of a DD214. If the DD 214 is not there, a request can be made to the National Personnel Records Center.

In order to determine eligibility for veterans' benefits, the agent must have a copy of the DD Form 214. This form is needed for both state and federal benefits.

Under the State of MA website, information on a tuition waiver for a public college or university can be obtained. There is also a listing of "Era of Service" "Dates of Service" and "Requirement for Veteran Status". Also listed is categories of persons to may qualify as dependents, and there is a list of who is not eligible for benefits, along with a host of other information.

Lakeville veterans are also welcome to visit the Middleboro Veterans' Outreach Center website.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Wilford Corey Veterans' Agent (508) 946-8824